8 Shocking Signs Your Home Needs Rewiring

Share Post:

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email

According to the NSW Fire And Rescue website, electrical faults cause approximately 40% of all residential fires in NSW! The worst part? These fires are entirely preventable.

For safety (and functional) reasons, you should consider your home rewiring– especially if your property is over 40 years old.

This way, any faulty, old, or degraded wiring will be identified and repaired, significantly reducing the risk of electrical faults and fires.

But, how do you know when it’s time?

Here are eight signs that the time is now!

#1 Porcelain Fuses

Porcelain fuses are a surefire sign that your wiring is old, outdated, and a potential fire hazard. In fact, because they can’t handle modern power demands, these fuses have been illegal for years!

If your switchboard is over 10 years old, you likely have porcelain fuses. But, before you rewire your home, you’ll need an electrical safety inspection to be sure.

#2 Frequently Tripping Circuit Breakers

Circuit breakers are designed to trip, cutting the electricity to a certain circuit that has exceeded its capacity.

But, if it feels like yours are forever tripping, you’ve definitely got wiring issues. To ensure this safety mechanism is still keeping you safe, home rewiring services are needed.

#3 Extension Cords Everywhere

If you’re constantly battling for socket space and relying more and more on extension cords because of it, your home needs rewiring with additional power points.

Not only is this scenario inconvenient and frustrating, but it’s also dangerous. You risk overloading your outlets, power fluctuations, and sparking electrical fires!

#4 Power Problems

Speaking of power fluctuations, if your power is unstable, you’ve got a problem on your hands.

Besides overloaded sockets, the most common culprit is loose or corroded wiring. You’ll need home rewiring services ASAP to prevent the problem from worsening.

#5 Burning Smells

If you notice a burning smell but can’t find the source, there’s a high chance you’ve got an electrical short behind your walls or under your floors.

Faulty or degraded wiring can cause abnormal connections that result in excess electricity running through your switch or outlet. This generates heat which can spark a fire.

Cut the power and get a wiring specialist in. But, if the smell persists, vacate your home and call 911 immediately!

#6 Fuses Forever Blowing

Simply put, modern appliances demand modern circuit breakers.

Older-style fuses were made before the advent of the power-hungry technology we use today – which is why they don’t have the capacity to handle them.

If your fuse blows frequently, it’s time to upgrade them with home rewiring services!

#7 Discoloured Or Singed Outlets

This is a sign that faulty wiring or loose connections have caused sparks that have caused a fire.

The fact that it is already charred indicates that you’re running out of time. Call a home rewiring specialist ASAP!

#8 Flickering Lights

If multiple lights in your home are flickering or dimming frequently, it’s not the bulbs – it’s the wiring.

Brightening lights indicates too much voltage, while dimming lights indicates too little. This is a sign of loose or faulty wiring, and as mentioned above, needs immediate attention!

If you notice any of the serious signs we’ve listed above, get in touch with our wiring specialists at Copper Electrical. Electrical safety and home rewiring is our bread and butter.

Contact us for peace of mind and an electrical system that supports modern appliances!

Stay Connected

More Updates